National Spelling Bee 2008

What a fascinating contest and finally Sameer Mishra is the champion. This national spelling bee contest getting more and more attention over years. Now it is prime time live contest at US, 7.00Pm to 9.00 PM ABC Live, I think this is great rather than watching sit-coms. This year contest was more competitive than last year, and I feel this year the participants faced lot of foreign provenance words like Nietzschean, boulangère, satyagraha, those are very tough to spell for this 12-13 years kids. But any ways they all did it great. Most unlucky one I feel is Jahnavi Iyer, she got all toughest one but she managed to spell correctly all the way but she got a "impossible" word to spell "parfleche" at round 9.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't follow the bee contest. The stereotypical indian teenager bee egged on by pushy parents bores me, i think.
Yes..you are exactly right. I also have the same feeling that indian parents pushing their kids for this. But I think most of the kids has some unique talent also, they are not memorizing all words, they spelled based on word of origin, pronunciation, and history.

Popular posts from this blog

Coupon Crazy

Google's Killer Application.

Uncontrolled Musing