Survived in new workplace for 15 days

Many of us try to join new workplace for various reasons and it is very tough to survive for first 15 days. Here i’m trying consolidating all my experience with survival of first 15 days.

I started with a bank for contract to hire position, i liked this “contract to hire” concept because it very balanced act for us and company before both of us committing anything. Since it is a hiring position, added this is bank, i went through extensive security, background, credit, reference checking plus all kind of testing. This is important because all these process went through for 2 weeks before they asked me to start work, so patience is really important. I liked this also, so my manager knows my financial data and credit balance, did i bankrupt before, my credit score etc.

Day 1: Hiring manager welcomes me and took me to my desk, what a surprise for me? All the equipment was ready, even my laptop booted and ready for login, and all stationary items are in place at my desk. I never ever experienced this “welcomed”. He explained me all the details like documents to setup email, login info, etc. I just setup everything and i accepted his first meeting request that was, welcome lunch at Flattop Grill. So i had a very good time with my team members, they all interviewed me so i had some introduction with them.

Day 2: I thought since it is bank i have to wear very formal and polished shoes. But what a surprise again, i can see tech geeks walking around with jeans and T-Shirts. I think this is “kinda of” incubator so no formal dress required.

Day 3: My first assignment is to design and develop a module. But i faced a challenge from my laptop; it was loaded with, you name it all was there in laptop. So i have decided to clean up laptop first before starting my work.

Day 4: After cleaned up, started work it was very easy for me to finish it within 2 days.

Day 5: My first code with design document checked in source control.

Day 6: My manager showed up my desk with a laundry list of code review comments, again i tumbled; he did an excellent job to capture all technical details and helped me to change code as per comments.

Day 7: We decided to review code with my team. I got other assignment at same time.

Day 8: Code review went fine, they want to use same thing for their module also. I felt very happy that i introduced a new concept here.

Day 9: Busy with new assignment, hard part was to understand banking terms and domain knowledge.

Day 10: Started designing for new assignment and checked with manager, he asked me to start coding.

Day 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15: Happened to attend a road map meeting. Completed new assignments and code checked in source code. Felt very satisfied and feeling a new rock ’n roll started for me. Time to take couple of beers.

Comments

sukumar said…
Nice post Subba. Looks like you are onto a great start in your new job. good luck with it.
Thanks sukumar..yes, it was great start

Popular posts from this blog

Coupon Crazy

Google's Killer Application.

Uncontrolled Musing